Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sundered Skies Serial! (contains some serious SPOILERS)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> General Game Chat & Tales from the Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derfinsterling

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: The 17th session - Kisses and Ferals Reply with quote

After the superior seamanship (or would that be voidmanship?) shown by Lana, the crew landed savely at Canopy, anchoring their slightly banged-up ship in the harbor.

They set the wildlings free, who scampered off into the wilderness, vowing eternal gratefullness to the heroes.

After they sold the "camouflage" trade goods they had stored they had enough money for the ship's repairs. They'd have to spend two days in Timber, but that was a welcome change of pace anyway.
Especially Henley felt right at home in the rowdy lumberjack town. Not only was there a whole lot of drinks available, all the girls seemed to have a thing for the nose-less dwarf. Pretty girls and women of all races came over, gave the dwarf a hug and a kiss and walked off with a "thank you".
The rest of the group looked on with startled surprise, especially Kazzag didn't seem to handle this well. I guess the elf is lonesome...

They also found out that nobody had heart anything about something or someone called "Orcbane". The cult of the vigilance? Nasty rumors, those. So they were at a dead end in their quest for Orcbane. (That's what happens when you, the GM, mix up two islands when you're spreading rumors in a tavern... Wink)

After one day, Henley's bliss was cut short as a wounded deer wildling stumbled across the path of the heroes. First, the wildling encountered Kazzag, who was in the woods, shooting bolts from his armor into trees, practising his aim. Roe, the wildling, almost seemed to have a heart attack, as he fell down, scrambled and ran off in a different direction.
Luckily, he ran into Hope and Lana next.

This led to the Savage Tale "The Sheperd". They followed Roe into the wilderness, although I do think more out of a sense of "ok, so this is the mission for tonight, even though we'd rather search for Orcbane" than really any conviction they'd have to help the poor wildlings.

The fight against the sheperd and her pet ferals dragged on due to some spectactular bad rolls on all sides. One feral fell rather quickly, felled by Lana's dragon pistol. Hope was disturbed when she tried to transform into a different Untamed form and she no longer could change her form.
The second feral went mano-a-mano with Niador, who was apparently too busy enjoying his new dragon tail to focus on actually hitting anything. In the end, it was a combination of Tricks, gangups and overall superior numbers that put down the feral and finally the sheperd as well.

Lot's of fun was had, with jokes and high spirits flying abound. But I don't think the scenario met the player's expectations (as they were clamoring to continue the plot point quest).
So I guess I'll have to get them back on track... Next they plan to fly to Gateway to pick up Henley's new nose, then probably on to Dragon isle in the hope of collecting some earth for Savannah.
daran

Five

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: The 17th session - Kisses and Ferals Reply with quote

derfinsterling wrote:
Next they plan to fly to Gateway

When I read this through, for some reason I read that as flying to Gatwick! Wow a Skies-Reality crossover!

Too much coffee already today I think.
derfinsterling

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: The 18th session - where all kinds of folks get left behind Reply with quote

I could've also named that one: Where heroes are lost. But you'll see in a bit.

We've had another intermediary adventure before this session but it was cut short, we had a new player, not all of the regulars made it, the plot hook in question was never resolved... so we considered it a filler episode without any impact to the overall story and scratched it from the record.

We all sat down at the table, Bennies were handed out, adventure cards drawn (again the Enemy card... nobody wanted to play it that night, though), then Joseph realised: He was hopeless. As in "I can't find Hope, my character".
He kept searching until no sheet of paper was left unturned in his flat, but nothing. So I offered him to re-create her from scratch, but then we settled on Hope staying behind with the wildlings on Canopy, seeking guidance in regards to the loss of her powers.

Instead, the crew hired Patrick, a carpenter from the Timber dockyards. Patrick had been working on the Blessing and was in desperate need of a transport off-island to avoid a forced marriage with a certain maid in "unfortunate circumstances". (A cliché, sure, but hey, whatever gets a character going! Very Happy)

The heroes proved to be reluctant to take on another crewmember. another mouth to feed, and, more importantly someone else to share any wealth with. Not that they'd acquired much so far, but still.

As it turned out, Patrick was quite skilled as a sailor, competently steering the Blessing away from Canopy. But not as skilled as a navigator, so Lana was secure in her role as captain.

The goal of the heroes was Gateway - of course. Henley had commissioned a new nose, after all, that had to be collected in time before the smith would melt the metal down again.

On the way, little of note happened. They saw a dragon cross their path, but wisely didn't try to close the distance, instead looking in marvel at the colossal creature, Niador looking at his own future (even though that is oh-so-many level ups still off).

Patrick hazardly, but safely (showing off a little here), steered the Blessing through the rock fields, docking at the pier. There, the player characters first noticed a massive ship of the Trade Council, it's flag showing also a gateway in the middle of the cog insignia - apparently the ship of Gateway's representative to the Council. Then they noticed the name: Blind Hawke.

Wearily, they left the boat to run a few errands.
Henley went to the smith and got his nose, but the craftsman was nervous at the sight of the dwarf, doing everything in his might without appearing rude to get rid of him, closing shop immediately after he left.

The rest of the group went to see Jeche and Jarl. The Flotsam's door showed some signs of battle - scorch marks and bullet holes, but the Elves themselves were fine. They told of an attack, not too long ago, that was easily repelled.
There, they also heard that Merkas Gladwing was the new representative to the Trade Council. And they heard that former associated of the heroes had been targeted as well. Joseth Truthbearer had been found dead a few weeks ago, his throat cut.

Lana and her crew went to see for themselves. Joseth's former residence was occupied by a crazy woman who kept yelling at them in some foreign fantasy tongue.
Seeking out the stone that Joseth used to preach from, they found it covered in candles, most of them burned down, a sketch of a broken heart etched into the stone itself. There were also a few scraps of paper, most of them unreadable already, with one saying: "May the Beautiful One always protect you."

They decided to wait here for a few hours, see whoever would come by and take care of the candles. But they also knew that they weren't welcome in Gateway anymore, not with Gladwing apparently being the new strong man here. Something needed to be done...
Finally, they sent Patrick to The Blessing, to take her away from the pier to the capture field. With her rock-warded hull she should be fine anyway and outside of Gladwing's reach.
They'd re-name her - after some discussion, they settled on "Guardian", then flee, vowing to return at a later day to make Gladwing pay.

But when Patrick arrived, the Blessing was burning! There were dockworkers standing there, who seemingly couldn't decide what to do. Some wanted to put out the fire - others warned them, that "the boss not's gonna like that!", but other ships were in danger... So finally someone hacked away at the ropes tethering the Blessing to the pier.

Patrick jumped unto the ship, trying his best to douse the flames in what little drinking water they had left on the ship, using some spare sailcloth to extinguish the flames, while drifting farther and farther away from the island.
In the end, he succumbed to the thick smoke.

When the rest of the heroes finally gave up on waiting, deeming the risk to high, they returned to the pier, only to find it empty. Scorch marks and a few inquiries told them that the Blessing was ablaze when it was last seen.
Lana almost had a breakdown, kept staring into the void and crying/whispering "My ship.... my ship... my ship...."

Somewhere, Patrick woke up, coughing hard. The fires had died out, the Blessing still being afloat. His left arm was badly burned, but he was somewhere in the Shattered City, without much food and water. And with the damages to the ship, it was unclear if he would be able to get back to Gateway.

We left it there. Next time, the heroes in Gateway will have to find a way to find the ship. And Patrick will have to find a way to survive.
derfinsterling

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: The 19th Session - They're getting a bigger boat Reply with quote

Erika didn't make it, so no Niador this time - but Martin returned to the table, with him his war priest Kyp.

Lana was finally convinced by the rest of the heroes to leave the harbor. Clearly, it wasn't save out here for them, with Gladwing going as far as burning down their ship. Also, there was no sign of Patrick, and at least Henley was convinced of foul play by the human.

They sough refuge in the Flotsam, but on their way they encountered a human by the name of Silas Lent who was accompanied by an axe-carrying goblin. Silas sympathized with them, offering them free passage on his ship, the Confidence, should they be willing to leave Gateway in the next two days. He was going to scout the Shattered City for a nice little ruin and the heroes were welcome to go with him. He'd take them to a safe haven afterwards.
With nowhere elso to go, and quickly running out of friends in what was supposed to be their home turf, their base of operations, the group happily took Silas up on his offer and they embarked on an uncertain journey.

Meanwhile, Patrick, on that unnamed island, had managed to anchor the Blessing to the island and climb down to it. His water supply was gone, as was the food and he had no hunting equipment, merely some tools for carpentry.
He also had no survival skill.
The glow was no threat to him (some pretty high rolls there...) but the hunger and especially the thirst took their toll.
He spent hours repairing the Blessing, making her "skyworthy" again, but with nothing to sustain him he quickly became fatigued, then exhausted.
Desperate, he searched the small island for something that might help him - and found a small ruin, partially buried.
Inside, he found the remains of an old library, most of the books and paper rolls ancient, some crumbling under his fingers.
The only real "recent" entry was a letter he found within one of the books, apparently dated from the War of Fools, mentioning some "Battle at Halfcastle" that, now being won, would surely turn the tide.
Patrick had never heard of half a castle, nor did he wonder how a letter from the War of Fools would end up in a ruin of the Shattered City.
Quite understandably, as his mind was focused on survival, not history.
Finally, he found the way down to the cellar, where some water was running down the moist stone walls and he eagerly lapped it up with his tongue, not caring for the taste.
He had found some water, enough to sustain him for maybe another day or two... who knew what they would bring?

Silas and our heroes aimlessly drifted through the Shattered City, passing two or three islands with ruins that were already often-times plundered and scoured of anything useful. No, Silas (and Lana as well) were looking for something deeper in the isles, something that offered more riches.

What they found, was a death barge instead.

A frigate bore down on them, coming into sight behind another island, giving chase to the Confidence.
Silas manned the guns, leaving Lana at the steering wheel, and scored a solid hit during the first chase - but so did the death barge, with two cannon balls tearing through the hull of the much smaller ship.

Lana snapped. Not again. They had beaten the undead aboard the Bone Queen's own vessel. They had lost their first ship to pirates. They had lost their second to either a fire or a thieving carpenter, possibly both.
They - she - would not lose another ship. Not to another bloody servant of the Rotting One!
This is where she drew the line. And she did it by turning the Confidence around, crossing the T, then shearing alongside the death barge.

Henley was already up in the rigging, ready to jump across - and landed right in the middle of a ship teeming with a horde of undead!

The dwarf started hacking away and was soon joined by the rest of his friends, as well as Silas who revelled in the challenge and his goblin Brick (who tried to guard his master).

Kazzag, Kyp, Henley, Lana, Silas and Brick on the one side.
No less than sixty undead on the other side, led by an Experienced Death priest.

This was a gruesome, grueling, hard and long battle. A battle fought with tooth, nail and dagger. And the occasional pistol shot. No area effects (well, except Kyp and his Sweeps), practically no magic, no tactical finesse, it was steel versus bone and rotting flesh.

And it looked grim for a while. Kyp took no less than a total of 9 wounds, but soak rolls and especially the "Second Wind" adventure card saved his hide. The latter was put to use twice, thanks to the "Once more with feeling" card, the second time saving Henley.

Lana killed the Death priest with a well-aimed pistol shot and the Bulls eye card, negating the greatest threat they faced. Kyp and later Kazzag felled zombies and skeletons where they stood, two walking whirlwinds of death and steel.

But Lana was overwhelmed by a horde of skeletons and one lone zombie who proceeded to get down on the floor to crack open the wildlings head and to feast on her brains.
Henley risked a few free attacks, grabbed a rope and swung himself right into the center of the ring of undead surrounding the unconscious Lana.
He tried fending them all off, but they just too damn many! (Never laugh at a measly d6 fighting, when the GM rolls 6 of them, each one gaining a+4 gang-up bonus...)
I gave Henley's player a hint at this particular point, as I saw little sense in a TPK at this point in the campaign.
Henley took it! Lana had a big bag of powder on her belt, partially torn open by the claws ripping at her. Henley tore it from her belt and struck a spark, then shouted for Kyp, pointing to the rope.

The war priest, fighting two more skeletons, nodded, grabbed the other end of the rope that Henley was clinging to and pulled.

Both dwarf and wildling where pulled from the ring of undead, up into the rigging.
Then the powder exploded, shredding ten of their enemies, ripping a huge hole into the hull which swallowed up 6 more of them.

All of a sudden, they were back in the game.

They started retreating to the Confidence, but then something strange happened, best summed up in Henley's statement: "I'm not killing dozens of undead and then go home with nothing! I want my loot!"

And they re-boarded.

The last remaining handful of enemies was rather quickly dealt with, but still the fight lasted 3 and half hours from start to finish.
As I said, it was a long battle.

They did get away with some salvage, lots of wounds and a damaged death barge.
The ditched the corpses into the void (I'm assuming here, the group never stated anything to that effect, merely proclaiming the Confidence would tow the other ship) and continued into the Shattered City.

At this point, a little meta-gaming crept into the session: Technically, the heroes did not know that they would run into Patrick and the Blessing by sailing through the Shattered City.
Practically: why drag this out to another session or even kill a character of like this, with no hope of rescue?

So Patrick lighted a big signal fire, the smoke column was seen by Kazzag before the winds dispersed it and they headed in the general direction.

A few hours later, Patrick, exhausted and almost delirious saw a death barge slowing swooping in... being towed by another ship, a sky sloop! He had attracted the interest of the rotting servants of the Rotting One! In panic, he extinguished the flames as well as he could, then ran for his life.

But in the end, the group was re-united. Three ships now, some junk-level salvage, a couple of wounds, no power points to speak of, in the middle of the Shattered City.

What a great way to start again next year. Very Happy
derfinsterling

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: The 20th session - Where not that much happened. ;-) Reply with quote

I owe you the latest session recap, my apologies.
This was a rather short session, due to some last-minute cancelations as well as a very sick Giovanna (of Lana fame), so I dragged out the time they had on the island and their way to the next island.

Silas took off wiht some of the loot and promised to get them some time: Basically spreading the tale of how they met the death barge and all of the heroes' were killed, while he and Brick escaped barely with theoir lives. With his ship as bad in shape as it was, this was to be a credible tale.
And it might just buy them some time.
They had talked about where to go to. They didn't want to go back to Gateway, for sure, but they had no earth for any other close island. Silas graciously had left them a little bag of earth for Plenty, which would be a place just as good as any to get the necessary repairs done.

The heroes kept debating what do to? Use the death barge for spare parts to make the makeshift repairs on the Blessing?
Abandon the blessing and taking the death barge instead? Where to go to next?
In the end, they found a solution as most groups possibly would: Let's take them both!
I hit them with some nasty modifiers, actually trying to discourage that. But, they jumped at the challenge!
With all the wounds they had, the critical hits of the ship, the added penalty of towing the death barge with the much smaller Blessing and so on, it all came down to boating rolls at -8. Several of them: Getting out from the Shattered City, avoiding any encounters on the way, then the Razor passage...
It was a dice roll fest, but it was all in good fun. The players gathered around Giovanna's bed, brought her her dice so she could roll, Bennies were spent, Adventure cards played... then finally they docked at Plenty.

Yes, I was lenient on the encounters, allowing to evade them even though nobody had the necessary edges. But the alternative would've been to either play out the encounters (which could have been disastrous), continue with the main story (which I didn't want due to quite some players missing the game) or cancel game night altogether (which is no fun at all, too).

I made it clear to them that this was a one-time-thing only, though.

Now we'll see how we proceed. They heard something about a ship race that was supposed to take place soon, but they're also clamoring to go on with the main plot line (but have no idea yet where they might find Orcbane, nevermind not knowing what or who Orcbane actually is).
So we'll see.
For now, they have two ships, both heavily damaged, and difficulties to pay for the repairs.

We'll see what awaits them in the Skies.
Armos Black

TAG Henchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Reading about your game is the reason I didn't sell off my copy of Sundered Skies in my "Great RPG Book Purge for Money." Well, and it is a great setting. Now if only to run it someday in the future. Sad

Are you going to be running again soon? How do you deal with the big time between games?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words, mate. Good to know somebody enjoys my ramblings. Wink

The plan is that we're gonna play the next Thursday. Actually, we have a set schedule of every first Thursday and every third Sunday, but still we don't make it quite as regularly as I'd like to.

But I really want to get back to those bi-weekly game nights.
It's not as big a problem as the players are all pretty invested in the game, but details get forgotten over such long periods. I force them to do recaps at the beginning of each session, this usually helps a lot which getting back into game mood as well.
Cripple X

Deuce

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread has inspired me to stick up my own campaign log as I GM my group through the skies. Thanks for the inspiration. Can't wait for the next update.
snate56

Deuce

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a lot of time has passed. I take it something happened to put the game on hiatus, but have there been any more sessions yet?

Smile
SteveN
derfinsterling

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snate56 wrote:
Wow, a lot of time has passed. I take it something happened to put the game on hiatus, but have there been any more sessions yet?

No sessions... till two days ago! Stay tuned!
derfinsterling

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: A little preface Reply with quote

Wow. Almost a year has passed since my last update. Since then, lots of things have happened, and I'm not going to bore you with the details.
Just as much: We lost a player (Giovanna), who moved to the US. That also means that the group lost their captain, Laña.
We've had one more session after the one I posted above, but since we didn't finish the adventure, we changed tracks (again), erasing it from our memories.

The group is now solely comprised of Josef's Hope, Michaela's Kazzag, Stephen's Henley and Erika's Niador.
There's also Patrick, Josef's back-up character he played once or twice instead of Hope.
There might still be the occasional guest-player, but we'll see about that.
derfinsterling

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: The 21st session - Back in the game! Reply with quote

Michaela wasn't able to join us last time, but everybody was itching to get back into the game. We've discussed dropping Skies altogether and play something else, but in the end settled on to finish the campaign. Maybe upping the pace a little, to make sure we'd actually get to finish it?
After reminiscencing a little about each character, my players got back into the groove.

Since, technically, they don't really have that good a captain right now, Niador was elected as acting captain, but I was determined to stick to an island-based story for this time.

Falling back on our collective notes, we remembered the group wanted to go to Dragon's Spine to collect some earth to find that fabled new island, Savannah.
So that's where we started.

Niador was returning home for the first time in maybe two years. He had changed considerably, both in size and experience. Now cleary a Chosen one of the drakin, Hope and Henley were astonished to see their companion treated like royalty - drakin bowed their head to him, made room for him on the street, refering to him as "your honor" or "noble one". A treatment he got used to rather quickly, but most graciously, I'd say.

He recognised that something was different about his home, though. People were less friendly, less open. The whole environment was more... almost hostile.
After some inquiries, they quickly found out about a string of murders. The victims: all orcs. The authorities: seemingly uninterested. The rumors: Oh, so running wild. They even found the brother of the latest victim, spouting dangerous threats of returning with his clansmen to burn the whole island down to the ground...

Could this be the doing of something called Orcbane? Where they finally getting closer to Orcbane's Armor from the prophecy?

The whole thing got another level of urgency, when a human presented them with a written invitation from the dragon Jadeclaw. (Hope asked: "Why does the big boss dragon have a human as a servant?!?" - Niador's reply, cooly: "Because he can.")

The human (who never bothered to introduce himself, nor did the heroes ask) lead them to a huge cavern. Inside, on one side stood a small table, ready for dinner. Hope was anxious that they might be the dinner, but Niador scoffed at this ridiculous idea.
Jadeclaw stayed in the shadows, presenting a talon here, the gleam in his eyes there, the glow of fire nesting in his throat.
He was most unhappy with the disturbances the murders caused. And he tasked Niador with solving the murders or else he'd, Jadeclaw, would withdraw his favor.
Niador was quick to agree to this task.
(I took this scene from The Race. I liked it too much to not ever include it and it seemed like a perfect fit.)

Back in the Foreign Quarter, they sought out the authorities who investigated the murders. As it turns out, the investigation was.. sloppy would be a good word. Orcs got themselves killed all the time. Apparently, it was someone big, most likely another orc, so that's what they're keeping an eye out for.
Hope's suggestion of a Chosen Drakin being a possible culprit was met with laughter. Seriously, how could this possibly be?

They're only hope was to try to flush the killer out with bait. Hope was able to use her limited powers (remember, she lost the use of her Arcane Background as well as her Untamed edge) on Kurg, the brother of the last victim. He agreed to be the bait.

Four sleep cycles later Niador was already getting nervous about how to explain his failure to Jadeclaw, when Orcbane, the killer, finally struck.

It would have payed off hugely to have Kazzag there as well, but in the end, the evil killer was slain and Orcbane's Armor collected. Henley now wears it, enjoying not only it's magical capacities, but also the ghosts bound to the armor.

Again the heroes were summoned in front of Jadeclaw who commended Niador for his success. Clearly, Hope and Henley were merely servants of Niador and barely worth noticing.
He cut his own talon, dripping blood in a bucket at Niador's feet. "You have earned this well, Chosen one."

Niador happily accepted his master's gift and drank greedily. The next moment he buckled under the pain as his wings grew and his shoulder muscles stretched to accomodate his new appendages!
(I ruled that Erika could select any one Dragon edge Niador didn't have yet while ignoring *one* requirment. The others would still have to apply. She chose Dragon Wings.)

We wrapped it up there. Hopefully, it won't be another 10 months before we continue.

Now: Does anybody know of a great dragon paper mini I could use as a next step in Niador's growth?
derfinsterling

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:05 pm    Post subject: Is this the new Niador? Reply with quote

Playing around with the Alpha version of Heromachine 3.0 (man, I wish I'd knew how to draw), I came up with this:

What do you think?
snate56

Deuce

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!
I take it you are using all paper minis or I would suggest one of the Draconian figures from the D&D miniatures game.

Also, Mage Knight had a draconic race.

SteveN
derfinsterling

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snate56 wrote:
Nice!
I take it you are using all paper minis or I would suggest one of the Draconian figures from the D&D miniatures game.

Also, Mage Knight had a draconic race.

SteveN

Yes, always paper flats. Very easy to transport and if one gets lost or somehow destroyed, you can always print out a new one. I'm having a hard time coming up with an appropriate look of a cat wildling, though...
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> General Game Chat & Tales from the Table All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: