Triple Ace Games Forum Index Triple Ace Games
ARCHIVE FORUM - POSTING LOCKED

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freebie location

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAG Wiggy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:47 am    Post subject: Freebie location Reply with quote

While drifting of to sleep this morning an idea came into my mind for a new location. Not original, but rather taking an existing story and turning it into a Hellfrost version. This is loosely based on Rapunzel, but without the hair. Excuse any typos -- it's unedited.

Tower of the Sleeping Woman
The Tale of the Sleeping Woman is known from north to south and east to west. At its most basic, the theme centers around a woman who was cursed to fall into a magical sleep by a wicked spellcaster. In order to ward the woman against being woken by outsiders, she was placed in a tall tower with a single window near the top the only entrance. Around the base of the tower grows a dense tangle of deadly thorns.

Variations are commonplace. The cult of Scaetha tells how an evil necromancer laid a curse of a mighty paladin during the last days of the Liche-Priest, for the paladin was fated to slay the Liche-Priest. Some fanatical Anari claim the woman is the rightful heir to the empire, cursed by a Saxa magician to prevent the empire rising again. Finnar tell of a hunter who killed the prize reindeer of a terrible hag, and whose daughter was taken from him as punishment. Tuomi speak of a vain fey noblewoman who grew jealous at the beauty of a mortal child. A Midmarker legend tells how a wicked stepmother banished the rightful daughter of a king to prevent her ever ascending the throne. Engro insist the “woman” is merely a metaphor for a fabulous treasure. In Chalcis, the sleeper is a cleric of Kenaz cursed by the Ice Queen, the tower made of ice, and the hawthorns replaced with chill thorns.

Every version of the tale claims the woman is still sleeping, but can be awakened under the right circumstances. A kiss from a prince or man of pure heart, daubing her head with certain herbs, reciting certain phrases, whispering her true name in her ear—the list goes on.

But all might not be as pleasant as the tales make out. Darker versions, perhaps older, perhaps just intended to warn people to be careful to avoid the unknown, reverse the roles. The sleeper is variously said to be a vampire, liche, demon, or fell cleric, and her supposed oppressor a good-hearted cleric of mage seeking to rid the world of an evil she could not slay or banish. Often the sleeper resides at the base of the tower, not the top, and the window is warded against curious intruders.

The story of the sleeping princess is based on truth. The tower still stands, the sleeper still sleeps, and dense hawthorns grow around the base. The thorns actually grow as a huge maze. Over time this has become home to a band of malevolent fey whose flesh bristle with sharp thorns (treat as a wood warrior, but with the ability to cast thorny bolts using their Spirit die).

dpmcalister

Four

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. I love little aspects like this Smile

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me like bedtime story! Very Happy

Triple Ace

Location: I have flying monkeys, and I'm not afraid to use them!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you'll love the Sorrow of the Frost Dwarf and the Seven Wights, a popular dwarven tale.

Enno

King of Clubs

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You made my day!!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Triple Ace Games Forum Index -> Hellfrost All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: